Thursday, May 17, 2007

Visiting Lanzhou orphanage - NEEDS



In the morning I had the opportunity to visit the Lanzhou SWI. We prepared a small donation of a few basketballs, soccer balls, ping pong paddles, and some notebooks. They were a big hit with the staff.



I was greeted by Vice-Director Madam Dai Mei Lan, Mr. Chen, and a staff member named Ms. Fu (I’m not 100% on her name, when you see the video, I’m sure you all will be able to correct me!).



I was impressed with Madam Dai. She looked to me to be a no-nonsense, cut-to-the-chase type of manager. Also, Ms. Fu recognized all the names I provided to her, and was able to describe to me the details of the children.



To Brent and Tracy, and to Kimberly, I wasn’t able to check in on your cuties, because they were either in foster care, or in Beijing for an operation.



To Cindee Robinson, I want to personally thank you for an experience I’m NEVER going to forget, which was to meet your dear Morgan’s orphanage friend, Song Peng. What an AMAZING girl. She is very bright and happy!



Madam Dai told me there are 200 children there, most of whom have a special needs.




I took a lot of video, and said, "beautiful" a lot. I am at a loss for words when it comes to these beautiful Chinese children




You can see some video by clicking




here (the Green Fence!)




here (the Lanzhou SWI)




here (off the beaten track)




here (interview with Lanzhou locals)


here (message from orphanage staff)




The orphanage does have an immediate need. They need an incubator. The one they have is old and insufficient. I told her that we bought one for the Siping Orphanage in Jilin for right at $1000.


If you would like to support this, please donate to Packages of Hope, and we'll get one there right away!


Thank you!