Monday, May 21, 2007

Meng Lu - dreams of visiting America




I met an amazing young man today who has touched my heart - Meng Lu.






He is an orphan of Bengbu SWI, and has been living in the SWI since he was an infant. He has a disability which prevents him from walking, but he can get around well in a hand-pedaled wheelchair.






We could really use to get these replaced with electric carts!






He is now 18 years old, and very articulate. He can speak good English, but he's shy in front of the camera. He is a very talented artist, and painted some wonderful watercolors which Packages of Hope will use for auction to raise money for these children. He's also dabbled in contemporary Japanese art.








While he sat and gave me a touching rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" on his harmonica, I was drawn to this remarkable young man.






Wiping away tears in his eyes, keeping as strong a composure as he could, he told me that it is fervent wish that he could one day visit America.






I'm going to work to make it happen!






If any of you know how I may be able to do this, please let me know!






Click here to see some video of this remarkable young man!