Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Breakfast in Bengbu - on to Nanning

The next morning I checked out early, and met my trusted companion Steven Tao. Our car left for our 1 hour ride to Nanning. The car and driver were donated by the orphanage!



Not eager to leave Bengbu, I asked Steven if we could eat breakfast at a “local place”. Up to this point, I had never really encountered a “fast food meal”, as I was the guest of honor at every location I visited, which meant a lot of socializing during the meal. However, I knew from my experience working in China years ago, that there are many “mom-n-pop” local “hole-in-the-wall” places for people to get a quick bite. Steven diverted us to a non-descript street corner where people of all walks of life were grabbing a quick bite of breakfast.



For about 20 RMB (a bit over 3 USD), the three of us (Steven, the Driver, and I) ate a DELICIOUS, nutritious, and hearty meal of dimsum, and flavorful egg-drop soup.



Please have a look at the farewell video I made with Steven Tao, and how he welcomes all the families back to Bengbu!



see it here





(Steven Tao wishing me farewell from the Nanjing Airport)