Monday, June 11, 2007

Students get to the point in Bengbu

Speaking at the Bengbu No. 2 middle school was quite a memorable event. The students there were so enthusiastic about participating, that later on, in June, a group of students visited the orphanage, and spent some time with the children!

I visited yet another high school following my talk at Bengbu No. 2. The other high school also had bright and energetic students, who wanted to discuss various topics, ranging from dating, to student workload, to politics, to everyday life for high school students in America. The session started out a bit slow, and I wasn’t able to stimulate much conversation at first.

I carried with me a lot of ½ dollar pieces to get the children to open up. It finally worked, as students started to participate in discussions with me. As each student raised their hands to ask me a question, I would offer them a coin, as a token of thanks for their question.

Finally, a boy in the front row of the auditorium in which I was speaking, raised his hand. I walked over to him and he stood up. His face was very serious, his eyebrows furrowed, and his lips pursed in a frown. He asked, in a staccato angry tone, “What do you think is the meaning of true friendship?!”

I paused, a bit surprised at this question. I thought for a moment, but as I did so, I offered a coin to him in advance, for his participation.

He then blurted, “Keep your money! I don’t want it! What are you doing giving all this money to all these students, when you say you are trying to help the children?! Are you trying to bribe us? We can’t even spend this money! And you are so easily giving this away! Do you believe in actually becoming friends here, or do you think that your money will just solve everything!”
The crowd went silent, and I could see the jaws of the administration (including the headmaster) clench from their seats in the corner of the room.

But I thought to myself, “YES! THIS is what I want!”

My heartbeat quickened and I was elated – “Young sir, you are absolutely correct. And I need to apologize. To be clear, the coins I’ve given out are just good luck tokens, and was used to encourage discussion. But you have an excellent point, and I will put my coins away. I realize that our donors supply a financial solution to many of the problems of the orphanage. But I could have supplied this money from afar. I came here because I, and the families that have adopted from Bengbu, have a connection to this place. It is forever a part of who we are. I am not only here to provide money, but I am also here to try to understand.”

I continued,” You are a fantastic student, and passionate! That is just great! You are the future leaders of China, and PASSION is what is needed to change things for the better! Thank you for speaking your mind, and keep it up!”

The young student did not look pleased with my answer, as I had thought, and in angst sat back down.

Another girl shot her hand up, and I called on her. She asked a question about high school students in America, and I did my best to answer her (high school is becoming a long distant faded memory for me!). I then turned to answer a question from another student, but the girl called back to me – “excuse me Mr. Jeff!”

“Yes?” I replied.

In a meek voice and a broad smile she said, “Erm, well…. I would like a coin please!! I collect them!”

There was a big round of laughter from the audience, as the sullen boy in the first row, arms folded tightly, sunk down in his chair.