Sunday, June 24, 2007

Train to ChiFeng




After a lunch hosted by the orphanage staff, I said my goodbyes to Siping, and headed for the train station.



Hannah, Helen, and I boarded a train for our 8 hour trek to ChiFeng, Inner Mongolia.


On the first leg of our journey, we had to travel via 3rd class, or "seated class". While this was a short leg of the journey, the quarters were cramped, and there wasn't any space for my two huge suitcases. (there are no baggage cars for "seated class"). Hannah managed to have my bags jammed towards the end of the cars, much to the consternation of some of the passengers.


(note to others -- when traveling via train, either make sure you can get sleeper seating arrangements, or pack light!)


Then, switching trains at TongLiao train station, we journeyed on to ChiFeng.
Click HERE to see some video of the train ride!