Sunday, June 10, 2007

Local Community Involvement at the Orphanage

One of the things I wanted to do was try to engage the local community in supporting the orphanage.

Over the internet, I had met an Australian woman teaching in Bengbu by the name of Kerrie Suffolk. She had helped me to arrange a presentation to 2 local high schools.

She had told me about the very prestigious Bengbu No. 2 High School, and the headmaster there.

I was thinking that I was going to receive a similar welcome thatI did in Lanzhou. It started out that way, as I was given a warmwelcome with a large placard of my name on it by the front gates.





But when I entered I was greeted by a small group of staff, including the headmaster.



Kerrie had told me that the headmaster was extremely touched by our efforts in Bengbu, because he himself was abandoned at the age of 3.


When I told him about my presentation on what life was like forhigh school students, he was disinterested. His main focus was toorganize long term student volunteer support for the orphanage. He stressed repeatedly that he wanted this to be a long term project,with children dedicating their time to this community effort.He told me I would be presenting my speech to 100 of the top students in the school. The creme of the crop. He used wonderfuland soft words with me, which really endeared me to him. Through a translator, he said, "when you get done talking with these children, you will love them."


It was clear to me that he REALLY cared for these students, and for our cause.I entered through a room and was greeted by a few rows of students who were situated around a large table. There indeed were around100 students. I showed my presentation to the students, and then started a dialogue with them. Fearing that I would face nervous children unwilling to speak, I came prepared with a cache of half-dollars as gifts to those who spoke up and asked questions. I realize now that these were not needed (although the children really liked the coins).




(here you can see the students, normally full of smiles, were VERY serious when the headmaster encouraged them to engage in community service for the needy in the area! Such great young people!)

The questions started out slow, but then covered a multitude of passionate topics:- How do you feel about the Iraq war- How do students in America compare to Students in China- What is your impression of Bengbu?The students were articulate and passionate. One particular girl gave a short speech herself talking about her political views, andhow she hoped for a more peaceful world. She appeared to be a bit nervous about the time she had taken in order to state her question,but she was obviously very passionate, and her fellow students even applauded her question. One student said, "I'm very sorry, I don't mean to offend you orcause you pain, but I'm very interested to discuss the terrible shootings of the students [at Virginia Tech] by the student who was Korean".


And more importantly, even SO MANY students asked me, "how can we get involved to help the orphans of Bengbu!"I ended the speech by thanking the students, as we had to go to another school to give the same presentation.


But the students wouldn't let me leave. They kept asking me questions, asking for my email address. Many of the students wanted to get a Packages ofHope T-shirt, and many promised me, "I will be the best volunteer inall our school! I want to help!"


The students concluded by having a student proficient at signlanguage stand up and everyone in unison made the sign which stated, "I want to be a volunteer!"


I nearly cried! The headmaster was right, I did fall in love with them!


That evening I received a number of emails from the students.


But one was extremely touching, and has gripped me.


I present this to you in unedited form:"Dear Jeff,I'm a student from No.2 High School. my name is Yang Xueqi and you can call me Neyki.I'm so sorry that I couldn't communicate with youbecause the time was limited today. Although there were lots ofquestions in my mind about America and the Hope Project . In fact ,my father used to be a high school teacher,So does mymother.We led a happy and rich life.My friends always regarded me asa princess and they admired me .But when I was ten years old,myfather died of the cancer.Since then,I realized that I'm not a princess any longer.And I know that life doesn't always go my way.SoI must learn to face up to this on my own.Because of my experience,Ican understand these children who are lack of parents' love well.Ithink they would rather live a meaningful life than be caught inhopeless.I also like children very much.I really wanna try my bestto help them,so that I always take a big interest in your PackagesOf Hope. I used to think if there were chances to help others I wouldmake no bones about being a volunteer.Now it's you who give this chance,I'll hold on it.By the way,there must be some mistakes in my article ,could you please help me point them out?Indeed,I believe we can become good friends in the future,can't we?


yours,Neyki"





(Nyeki -- a true Princess)